#1095 for broadcast on 2CH Sydney, 5 July 2015
In the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to legalise same sex marriage in every state, a cross-party bill to redefine marriage will be introduced in the Australian Parliament when it resumes on August 11. Brace yourself for more divisive debate.
Meanwhile, in a provocative piece on Wednesday, Michigan pastor Kevin DeYoung asked 40 searching questions of Christians who find themselves enthusiastically waving rainbow-coloured flags. Here’s a selection:
1. How long have you believed that gay marriage is something to be celebrated?
2. What Bible verses led you to change your mind?
3. How would you make a positive case from Scripture that sexual activity between two persons of the same sex is a blessing to be celebrated?
35. Do you believe it is possible to love someone and disagree with important decisions they make?
36. If supporting gay marriage is a change for you, has anything else changed in your understanding of faith?
Just because something is popular, or new, doesn’t mean it is right, or good, or true.
I’m Rod Benson for the NSW Council of Churches.